Monday, March 9, 2009

Fresh Pineapple in 30 Seconds!


This gadget has TRANSFORMED MY LIFE:


I went to Sur La Table, arguably the best [kitchen] store ever, yesterday to finally spend a Christmas giftcard.

Before I went, I did a little research on their website, where I spotted the Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Pineapple Easy Slicer. It has amazing reviews on Amazon, supposedly taking 30 seconds to core and slice a pineapple. Sounds too good to be true, right? I was surprised to hear such an infomercial-like gimmick for a product at Sur La Table.


....

BUT IT'S TRUE.


Today I bought a pineapple on sale at my local Nugget Market and tried it out:


Step 1: cut off the top of the pineapple
and insert the slicer onto the core


Step 2: twist handle until you hit bottom, then pull the whole thing out and you'll be left with a hollow shell with intact core...


et
voilĂ !

beautiful fresh pineapple rings

It is seriously amazing. If you love fresh pineapple, you have to check this gadget out. And if you're not sure if you like fresh pineapple, IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN CANNED. You have to try it!

It was also ridiculously easy to clean; take the handle off, rinse the 2 pieces with soapy water and lay to dry. I think it's dishwasher safe too, but no need.

Plus you can use the shell to serve dessert or drink. Pretty nifty for a party I suppose.


Btw, I saw this other Vacu Vin pineapple slicer at Sur La Table, which I almost got because:
1. It comes with 3 different sized blades for small/med/large pineapples
2. It's $5 cheaper
but it's plastic and triples the amount of storage you need.

The stainless steel really gets the job done and all the pineapples I saw at the store were in the medium range anyway (3-5 lbs.)

1 comment:

A "cheery" disposition said...

Ok thats just cool! I have to get one!